Edited by J E Bradburn.
Salvation is not just for the Jews, but we Christians also. God would love to see us all repent and willingly go back to Him so when you read this, THE MYSTERY in conjunction with Revelation Revealed; it will certainly bring about a change in your thinking. https://www.prophecyproof.org/mystery-babylon-the-great /So read on and make a decision from here on.
Ephesians 3:9 (KJV) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
The English word “mystery” is a transliteration of the Greek word mustērion,1 which means a sacred secret. It occurs in the Septuagint Version (280B.C.) nine times, as an equivalent for the Chaldee rāz in the:
· Chaldee portion of “Daniel”, which means to conceal; hence, something concealed that can be revealed.
· It occurs frequently in the Apocryphal books; (of doubtful authenticity) which, though of no use for establishing doctrine, are of great value in determining the meaning of Biblical usage of Greek words.
· In these books mustērion always means the secret of friends, or of a king &c.1. Mustērion is from muēo and = to initiate or admit to secrets; and mustēs was used of the person so initiated.
Judith 2:2 (KJV) So he called unto him all his officers, and all his nobles, and communicated with them his secret counsel, and concluded the afflicting of the whole earth out of his own mouth.
The passage in Judith is remarkable: for Nebuchodonosor calls his captains and great men together just before entering on a campaign, and “communicated with them his secret counsel”, literally, “the mystery of his will”. This is exactly the same usage as in…
Ephesians 1:9 (KJV) Having made known unto us the mystery of His will. according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself.
…except the Greek word for will or counsel is different. In Judith 2; 2 it is boulē (Ap102.4), https://levendwater.org/companion/append102.html while in Ephesians 1:9 it is thēlema (Ap102.2). By the end of the second century A.D. it was used interchangeably with tupos (= type), sumbolon (=symbol), and parabolē (= parable). When we find the Greek word mustērion rendered sacrementum in the Latin Vulgate of…
Ephesians 5:32 (KJV) This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
…it is clear that it was used as meaning a secret sign or symbol, and not in the modern meaning put upon the word “Sacrament”, i.e. “holy mysteries”. It is evident to all that God has made known His will “at sundry times and in divers manner”.
Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV)
1.God, Who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by His prophets,
In time past = of old.
2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.
Knowledge: =App 132.11.ii. epignōsis Precise or further knowledge, thorough acquaintance with; true knowledge.
2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, Whom He hath appointed Heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds;
In…days. = at the end of these days. I.e. at the end of the period closed by John. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/revelation_%20revealed.htm
Son: No article, but its absence only “more emphatically and definitely expresses the exclusive character of His Sonship”.
Hebrews 5:8 (KJV) Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered.
He also kept certain things secret, and revealed them from time to time according to His purposes and counsels. Hence the word mustērion is connected with several concealed or secret things in the New Testament.
He also kept certain things secret and revealed them from time to time according to His purposes and counsels. Hence the word mustērion is connected with several concealed or secret things in the New Testament.
1. It was used of the secrets of the kingdom; which had been concealed, until the Lord revealed them to His disciples (but not to the people).
Matthew 13:10-11 (KJV)
10. And the disciples came, and said unto Him, “Why speakest Thou unto them in parables?”
11. He answered and said unto them, “Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Is given = hath been given: i.e. is permanently given.
To know = to get to know. Greek Ginōskō Ap 132.1 ii.
The mysteries = The secrets; or the things hitherto kept secret.
It had not before been known that the kingdom would be rejected, and that there would be a long interval between that rejection and its being set up in glory. This was concealed even from the prophets who foretold it.
1 Peter 1:10-12 (KJV)
10. Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come – unto you: http://www.godsplan.org.uk/necessityofgrace.htm
11. Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/thesufferingsandglory.htm
12. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us, they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
2. In Romans 11 it is used in connection with the duration of Israel’s blindness. That blindness itself was not a secret for it had been foretold. But the duration of the blindness was kept a “secret” from Isaiah and only revealed through Paul.
Isaiah 6: 9-10 (KJV)
09. And He said, “Go, and tell the People, “Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.”
10. Make the heart of this People fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes, lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
Make &c = Declare or foretell that the heart of this people will be fat. Isaiah could do no more.
This Prophecy is of the deepest importance in Israel’s history. Solemnly quoted in three great dispensational crises:--
1. By Christ (Matt 13:14), as coming from Jehovah on the day a council was held “to destroy Him” Matt 13:14
2. By Christ, as coming from Messiah in His glory. After counsel taken to put Him to death. John 12:40-41
3. By Paul, as coming from the Holy Ghost when, after a whole days conference, they “believed not”. Acts 28:25-27,
Romans 11:25 (KJV) After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, “This cup is the new testament in My blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in rememberance of Me.
If, as Rome (Vatican) maintains, the wine is transubstantiated into the blood of Christ, can the cup be so too?
Transubstantiated = (to change from one substance into another).
Matt 13:14 (KJV) And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, `By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive: http://www.godsplan.org.uk/earstohear.htm
40. “He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted and I should heal them.”
41. These things said Esaias, (Isaiah) when he saw His glory, and spake of Him.
Acts 28:25-27 (KJV)
25. And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, “Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
26. Saying, “Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
27. For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
It is much the same today as it was 2000 years ago.
3. It was used of a fact connected with resurrection, which has never before been made known to the sons of men. The Lord had spoken of it to Martha, but though she believed it, she did not understand that to those who should be alive and remain to His Coming the Lord would be “the life”, and they would “never die” (verse 25). http://www.godsplan.org.uk/earthlytabernacle.htm
25. Jesus said unto her, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26. And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die. Believest thou this?”
The Thessalonians who “received the word” were not left in ignorance of it (1 Thess 4:13) for the Lord’s words in John 11:25-26, were explained to them. But in 1 Cor 15:51 the secret was fully and plainly shown; and it was that “we shall not all sleep”, Up to that moment the universal belief had been that we must all die (cp Heb 9:27). Thenceforward it was revealed and made known for faith that not all would die, but that those who are alive and remain (Literally remain over) unto the Lord’s Coming will not die at all. (See note 1 Thess 4:13, (cp Phil 3:14)
1 Thess 4:13 (KJV) But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
see Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
Other =Paul frequently uses the significant term, “the rest”, to designate the unsaved.
Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection
The resurrection of those not mentioned but necessarily implied.
Concerning = 104 xiii. 1. With the Genitive it means as concerning, or, as regards, but always with the primary idea, and marking the central point of the activity. (e.g.)
Matt 4:6 (KJV) And saith unto Him, “If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning Thee:
and in their hands they shall bear Thee up, lest at any time Thou dash Thy foot against a stone. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/temptations.htm
Cast thyself down: an attempt upon His life.
It is written. Satan can quote Scripture and garble it by omitting the essential words “to keep Thee in all Thy ways”. and by adding, “at any time”
Psalms 91:11-12 (KJV)
11. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep Thee in all Thy ways.
12. They shall bear Thee up in their hands, lest Thy dash thy foot against a stone.
Luke 24: 19, 27, 44 (KJV)
19. And He said unto them, “What things?” And they said unto Him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, Which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the People.
27. And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself.
44. And He said unto them, “These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the Law of Moses, and in the Prophets, and in the Psalms concerning Me.”
Others = the rest Ap 124.3 add also. lolpos = the remaining one. PI. = (also) those who are left.
1 Corinthians 15:51 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
Acts 6:14 (KJV) For we have heard Him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.
Destroy this place: i.e. the temple, in one of the courts, which the Sanhedrin was sitting.
Customs = Greek ethos. Hence, English. “ethics”.
cp Heb 9:27 (KJV)And as it is appointed unto to men once to die, but after this the judgement.
cp Philippians 3:14 (KJV) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/christianrace.htm
High Calling = the calling above, or on high. No shout, or voice of archangel or trumpet here, as in 1Thess 4:16.
John 8:23 (KJV) And He said unto them, “Ye are from beneath; I am from above: Ye are of this world; I am not of this world.” http://godsplan.org.uk/fleshage.htm
4. Side by side with these Divine secrets there was the secret of the [foretold] lawlessness. It was already working during the dispensation covered by “Acts”; and had the nation repented at the call of those “other servants” of Matthew 22:4, those secret counsels of “the lawless one” and “the transgressors” would have “come to the full”. But now they are postponed and in abeyance until the appointed time.
2 Thessalonians 2:7 (KJV) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
Letteth: = holds fast. Supply the Ellipsis by “there is one who holds fast”, instead of by repeating the verb “will let”. But katechō is a transitive verb, and an object must be supplied too. If the subject be Satan, the object must be his position in the heavenlies (Eph 6:12), from which he will be ejected by Michael (Rev 12:7-9)
Cp Daniel 12:4 (KJV) But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
Shut = close up.
Even to = until
Daniel 8:23 (KJV)And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/danielsvisions.htm
The latter time of their kingdom, &c: This is a further indication as to the interpretation of this vision.
Transgressors = rebellions.
Run to and fro: or apostatise. The Hebrew shūt = to rove, turnabout, despise, Hence to do despite (Eze 16:57; Eze 28:24-26) But if we spell sūt with שׂ (=S), instead of with שׁ (=Sh), the meaning is to swerve, turn aside, apostatise, “those who turn aside”,
or revolters (Psalms 101:3; Hosea 5:2); as in Psalm 40:4(5), “such as turn aside to lies”. Swede’s edition reads heōs an apomanōsim = “till many shall have gone raving mad”. For more (Page 1205 Dan 12;4 notes).
Ezekiel 16:57 (KJV) Before thy wickedness was discovered, as at the time of thy reproach of the daughters of Syria, and all that are round about her, the daughters of the Philistines, which despise thee round about.
Ezekiel 28: 24-26 (KJV)
24. And there shall be no more a pricking brier unto the house of Israel, nor any grieving thorn of all that are round about them, that despised them; and they shall know that I am the Lord GOD.
25. Thus saith the Lord GOD; When I shall have gathered the house of Israel from the people among whom they are scattered, and shall be sanctified in them in the sight of the heathen, then shall they dwell in their land that I have given to My servant Jacob.
26. And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses, and plant vineyards; yea, they shall dwell with confidence, when I have executed judgements upon all those that despise them round about them; and they shall know that I am the LORD their God.
Eph 6:12 (KJV) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
To us the wrestling is against flesh and blood, i.e. human beings, contrasted with the wicked spirits mentioned below.
Principalities App 172.6. archē =beginning; then, the chief rule or ruler. https://levendwater.org/companion/append172.html
Luke 12:11 (KJV) (Magistrates) And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say.
Take ye no thought = be not full of care, or anxious.
Powers; rulers = world rulers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ol0TTGLr0
Darkness = the present order of things. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/dec/15/theresa-may-cuts-a-lonely-figure-at-eu-summit-video
Spiritual wickedness. These are the spirits of the wicked one, Satan.
Rev 12:7-9 (KJV)
7. And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels,
Heaven = A particular sphere above earth which is dwelt in by, or accessible to, the dragon and his evil powers. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/book1.htm
8. And prevailed not, neither was their place found anymore in heaven
9. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
5. But “the great secret” which concerns us today was not revealed until after the close of that dispensation covered by “Acts” (see Acts 28:17-310, &App 180&181)
Paul was not commissioned to put in writing the “purpose” of God which was “before the overthrow of the world” (App 146) https://levendwater.org/companion/append146.html
Ap 146 THE FOUNDATION OF THEWORLD.
The remarkable thing is that in all occurrences (except Heb 11:11) the word is connected with “the world” (Ap129.1), and therefore the expression should be rendered “the disruption (or ruin) of the world”, clearly referring to the condition indicated in Gen 1:2, and described in 2 Pet 3:5-6. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/dispensationalplan.htm
Genesis 1:2 (B) (KJV)And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
2 Peter 3: 5-6 (KJV)
5. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
The world &c: Literally the then world App 129.1 overflowed and perished.
John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Thy name: those that Thou gavest Me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Lost = Used of the doom of the sinner. One of the strongest words in the Greek language to express final and irretrievable destruction.
The son of perdition = The Antichrist.
6. WHEREBY THE WORLD THAT THEN WAS, BEING OVERFLOWED WITH WATER PERISHED.
Ungodly 1 Peter 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear.
Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD That created the heavens; God Himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: “I am the LORD; and there is none else.”
Note how these expressions are heaped together to impress us with the fact\that the one who created all ought to be able to tell us, better than ignorant man, how He created it.
He created: It did not come of itself by evolution (see Ap5&8) Ref to Pent Gen 1:1. In vain = tohū the same word as in Gen 1:2 (“without form”). Therefore it must have become tohū: which is exactly what Gen 1:2 declares (see note there) In Gen 1:1 we have “the world that then was” http://www.godsplan.org.uk/2%20Peter%203.htm
(cP 2 Pet 3:6) and in verse 2 we have the ruin into which it fell. We are not told how, when or why, or how long it lasted. When geologists have settled how many years they require, they may place them between verses 1&2 of Gen 1.
In Gen 1:2 –2:4, we have “the heavens and the earth which are now” of 2 Peter 3:7. http://godsplan.org.uk/fleshage.htm Both are set in contrast with the “new heavens and the new earth” of 2 Peter 3:13. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/kingdom.htm
For the earth was not created tohū (Isa 45:18), but became so, as stated in the Hebrew of Gen 1:2 and confirmed by 2 Peter 3:6, where “the world that then was by the word of God (Gen1:1), perished, and “the heavens and the earth which are now, by the same word” were created (Gen 2:4) and are “kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgement” (2Peter 3:7) which shall usher in the “new heavens and the new earth” of 2 Peter 3:13. http://godsplan.org.uk/greattribulation2.htm
cp = comparison.
Gen1:1 (A1A) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 2:4 These are THEGENERATIONS OF THE HEAVENS AND OF THE EARTH when they were created, In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/threestages1.htm
2Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgement and perdition of ungodly men. http://godsplan.org.uk/greattribulation2.htm
2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/kingdom.htm
“The disruption of the world” is an event forming a great dividing line in the dispensations of the ages. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/dispensationalplan.htm In Gen 1:1 we have the founding of the world. (Hebrews 1:10 = themlioō), but in Gen 1:2 we have the overthrow. This is confirmed by a further remarkable fact, that the phrase which occurs ten times, is associated with the Preposition apo = from (App 104. iv) seven times, and with pro = before (Ap 104. xiv) three times.
The former refers to the kingdom, and is connected with the “counsels” of God; the latter refers to the Mystery (or secret. See Ap 192) https://levendwater.org/companion/append192.html and is connected with the “purpose” of God. (See John 17:24, Ephesians 1:4, 1 Peter 1:20). Ample New Testament testimony is thus given to the profoundly significant fact recorded in Genesis 1:2 that “the earth became tohū and bohū (i.e. waste and desolate); and darkness was on the face of the deep”, be the creation of “the heaven and the earth which are now” 2 Peter 3; 7.
Until that dispensation was ended. What this “great secret” was can only be learned fully from the Prison Epistles. There alone can we find the things which had been concealed and kept secret “since the world began”. which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men; “which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God”; “which had been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest,” were “now” (Greek nun) with the pret. = just now, recently.
The special Scriptures which describe this secret are the postscript of; Romans 16:25-26; Ephesians 3:1-12, Colossians 1:24-27.
Acts 16:25-34 (KJV) (Prison Epistles)
25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, “Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.”
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30 And brought them out, and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 And they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”
32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
Romans 16:25 (KJV) Now to Him That is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began.
Ephesians 3:5 (KJV) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Ephesians 3:9 (KJV) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, Who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Colossians 1:26 (KJV) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints.
The mention of “the mystery” in Rom 16:25-26 has perplexed many, because the revelation of it specifically propounded (verb (used with object) to put forward or offer for consideration, acceptance, or adoption). in the Epistle to the Ephesians. Hence, it has been suggested that the Epistle originally ended at Rom 16:24 with the Benediction (or even at verse 20 and that the ascription (verses 25-27) was added by the apostle after he reached Rome.
1. In order to complete the Structure by making it correspond with the ascription in chapter 11:33-36 and;
2. To complete the Epanodos or introversion, and thus to contrast “God’s gospel”, which was revealed of old by the prophets of the Old Testament and never hidden (1, 2, 3), with the mystery which was always hidden and never revealed or even mentioned until 16:25-27. see Longer Note page 1694 for those with the Companion Bible.
In any case, while there is no doubt about the general order of the Epistles, the actual dates are conjectural (debateable), and rest only upon individual opinions as to the internal evidence (Ap180) https://levendwater.org/companion/append180.html . And, after all, Romans 16: 25-27 is not the revelation of the mystery as given in the Prison Epistles, but an ascription of glory to Him Who had at length made it manifest by prophetic writings (not “the writings of the prophets”, for it is the adjective “prophetic”, (describe) not the noun (name) “prophecy” as in;
2 Peter 1:20 (KJV) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.
The verb epiluō is found in Mark 4:34; (expounded), and Acts 19:39 (determined). This shows that the meaning is that prophecy is not self-originated by the speaker.
Romans & Ephesians are thus brought together as the two central Epistles of the chronological groups: the one ending one group, and the other beginning the next, both being treatises rather than epistles, and both having Paul for their sole author, while in all the other epistles he has others associated with him. As to the great secret itself, it is certain it cannot refer to the blessing of Gentiles in connection with Israel. This is perfectly clear from the fact that that was never a secret. Bothe blessings were made known at the very same time; and this well-known fact is constantly referred to in the Old Testament.
Genesis 12:3 (KJV) And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall the families of the earth be blessed.
Romans 15: 8-12
08. Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
09. And that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy; as it is written, “For this cause I will confess to Thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto Thy name.”
10. And again He saith, “Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with His people.”
11. And again, “Praise the LORD, all ye Gentiles; and laud Him, all ye people.”
12. And again, Esaias saith, “There shall be a root of Jesse, and He That shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in Him shall the Gentiles trust.”
But the secret revealed in the Prison Epistles was never the subject of previous revelation. In Ephesians 3:5 it is stated to be “now revealed”.
Ephesians 3:5 (KJV) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
This cannot mean that it had been revealed before, but not in the same manner as “now”, because it is stated that it had never been revealed at all.
It concerns Gentiles; and it was “revealed unto His Holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit”, that the Gentiles should be joint heirs, and a joint body, and [joint] partakers of the promise in Christ through the gospel. (see the notes on Eph 3:5-6)
We cannot know the whole purpose of God in keeping this concealed all through the ages; but one thing we can clearly see, viz that had God made it known before, Israel would of necessity have had an excuse for rejecting the Messiah and His kingdom.
As to ourselves, the question of “Who is in the secret?” does not arise. For we are not to suppose that all who do not know of it are “lost”.
One thing we know, and that is: it is made known “for the obedience of faith” or “for faith-obedience”. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/faith.htm
Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
Nations = Gentiles as in Rom 16: 4.
It is a subsequent revelation; and the question is --
Do we believe it and obey it by acting according to it?
Abraham had several Divine revelations made to him.
· From his call in Genesis 11, he was a “righteous” man.
· In chapter 12, he believed God concerning his promise of the future.
· In chapter 13, he believed God concerning the promise of the Land.
· But in chapter 15, God made a further revelation concerning the seed which He would give him; and it is written,
“Abraham believed in the Lord, and it was counted (or imputed) unto him for righteousness”.
Imputed: righteousness is a concept in Christian theology that proposes that the "righteousness of Christ... is imputed to [believers]
Even so with ourselves and the subsequent revelation of the mystery in the Prison Epistles. Let us believe it, and we may be sure that it will be counted unto us for something, for some blessing, which those who refuse to believe it will lose.
Glory be to God, and His Son Jesus Christ.